MediaTek launched a new 6nm chipset into the mix to join the already existing Dimensity 1100 and Dimensity 1200. However, the Dimensity 900 is a mid-range processor rather than being a flagship one.
The Dimensity 900 is a 6nm chipset, much like the latest Dimensity 900 flagship SoC. You’re getting an octa-core CPU, featuring two new Cortex-A78 cores (at up to 2.4GHz) and six Cortex-A55 cores (at up to 2GHz). So it’s not quite like the four heavyweight CPU cores we see in flagship processors. Furthermore, the Cortex-A78 is only a mild upgrade over the Cortex-A77, but we’re nevertheless glad to see the latest CPU here.
MediaTek’s latest processor also sports an Arm Mali-G68 MC4 GPU, which is essentially the same GPU as the Mali-G78 used in flagships but with far fewer cores (anything with six or less cores gets the G68 designation). So those looking for a good gaming experience on a budget will want to keep an eye on benchmarks/reviews for devices running this chipset.
Moving over to connectivity, you can expect sub-6GHz 5G with peak download speeds of 2.77Gbps. Other connectivity features include 5G+5G dual SIM support, Wi-Fi 6, and Bluetooth 5.2 capabilities. In terms of camera functionality, the MediaTek Dimensity 900 offers support for 108MP single cameras, 20MP+20MP dual cameras, up to four concurrent cameras, 4K HDR, and 4K/30fps recording.
“Dimensity 900 brings a suite of connectivity, display and 4K HDR visual enhancements to high-tier 5G smartphones and gives brands great design flexibility for their 5G portfolios,” said Dr. JC Hsu, Corporate VP and GM of MediaTek’s Wireless Communications Business Unit. “The chipset’s support for 5G and Wi-Fi 6 ensures users get the most of out their devices with super-fast and reliable connectivity.”
Other notable features include a third-generation APU for machine learning, a maximum display resolution of 2,520 x 1,080, a maximum refresh rate of 120Hz, HDR10+ support, and support for the AV1 codec.
Expect the first phones with the MediaTek Dimensity 900 to launch “in the global market” in Q2 2021, the chipmaker noted. So that means you can expect devices within the next few weeks.
FEATURES OF MEDIATEK DIMENSITY 900 SOC
- Excellent image creation ability: Dimensity 900 supports MediaTek Imagiq 5.0 image processing technology. It also adopts a multi-core ISP and comes with an exclusive hardware-level 4K HDR video recording engine. It also combines 3D noise reduction (3DNR) and multi-frame noise reduction (MFNR) technology. The maximum pixel size is 108MP, the current upper limit in the industry.
- Better AI camera application: This chip uses MediaTek’s third-generation APU, which has the advantages of floating-point accuracy of INT8, INT16, and FP16 operations. It enhances the AI camera application experience with high-efficiency AI performance. It also supports AI white balance, AI autofocus, and other shooting functions.
- Stunning video quality: The chip-level MediaTek MiraVision image quality engine can intelligently adjust the image quality of the video stream. It improves the color, brightness, contrast, sharpness, and dynamic range. This feature also enhances the SDR video content to a display effect close to HDR. Also, the HDR10 upgrade to HDR10+, and supports HDR10+ video. The playback real-time image quality enhancement feature comprehensively improves the look and feel of video-image quality.
- Advanced network connection: Continuing the leading advantages of MediaTek dual-SIM card technology, Dimensity 900 supports a dual-SIM 5G standby function, and both cards support 5G SA/NSA networking and dual-SIM VoNR voice services. It integrates 2×2 MIMO Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth 5.2, and GNSS.
- Smooth gaming: This chip supports MediaTek HyperEngine as well as dual-SIM parallel for game calls. The 5G high-speed rail and super hotspot game mode can help users enjoy the game world.
- MediaTek’s MiraVision: The chipset packs upgraded video capabilities from a standard dynamic range (SDR) to HDR with real-time enhancements of HDR10+ video playback to improve color and contrast of content.