I have often seen people feeding their dogs or cats or any pets they have at home whatever they eat. While that is not something that is strictly advised not to do, in some cases, we tend to forget that their system isn’t the same as ours. Some foods that are considered good for people can be very dangerous for pets. I know it’s the cute little bulging eye puppy face that they are to blame for because Who can resist those big brown eyes and cute doggie grin?
But there are certain food items that our pets shouldn’t be eating as they could be fatal to them.
Candy, gum, toothpaste, baked goods, and some diet foods are sweetened. It can cause your dog’s blood sugar to drop and can also cause liver failure. Early symptoms include vomiting, lethargy, and coordination problems.
Avocados have something called persin. It’s fine for people who aren’t allergic to it. But too much might cause vomiting or diarrhea in dogs. If you grow avocados at home, keep your dog away from the plants. Persin is in the leaves, seed, and bark, as well as the fruit. Also, the avocado seed can become stuck in the intestines or stomach, and obstruction could be fatal.
Keep onions and garlic — powdered, raw, cooked, or dehydrated — away from your dog. They can kill their red blood cells, causing anemia.
Keep your dog away from cocoa, chocolate, colas, and energy drinks. Caffeine is also in some cold medicines and pain killers.
Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs. And just a small amount can make a dog sick. Vomiting over and over is an early sign.
Milk and milk-based products can cause diarrhea and other digestive problems for your pup. They can also trigger food allergies, which can cause them to itch.
The problem in chocolate is theobromine. It’s in all kinds of chocolate, even white chocolate. The most dangerous types are dark chocolate and unsweetened baking chocolate. Chocolate can cause a dog to vomit and have diarrhea. It can also cause heart problems, tremors, seizures, and death.